Instagram’s demographic data is a great way for marketers to get to know the people behind the numbers.
And with more than a billion people on social media around the world, there are plenty of people to get to know.
Demographics should influence your Instagram marketing strategy, especially if you are new to the platform. You can also use demographic data to compare your current Instagram audience with the audience you want to reach, be it through organic marketing or Instagram ads.
Learn about Instagram’s age, location, gender, and other demographics so you can tailor your strategy and content to the right audience.
Download the full Digital 2021 report– including online behavioral data from 220 countries – to learn where to focus your social marketing efforts and how to better target your audience.
General Instagram demographics
Compare your Instagram demographic research to these key stats:
- 1.2 billions: The number of unique visitors who were active on Instagram in October 2020, according to SEMrush.
- 500 million: The number of accounts that display Instagram Stories daily (as of 2019).
- 1.16 billion: The potential audience reaches advertisers on Instagram (from 2020).
- 90 million: The number of people who tap Instagram product tags each month (as of 2018).
- 9 in 10 People on Instagram follow a business account (as of 2019).
- 2.54 billion: The number of daily active people who use one of the Facebook apps (as of 3rd quarter 2020). *
- $ 25.57: Average revenue per person for the Facebook app family in 2019.
- 3%: The error rate estimated by Facebook is included in the family key figures (as of 2020).
* Official Instagram stats are shown in Facebook reports under Family Metrics, which estimate the number of unique people who have used Facebook, Instagram, Messenger and / or WhatsApp over a period of time. Less than 3 in 10 Americans know that Instagram and WhatsApp are owned by Facebook.
People who use Instagram are most likely to be active on other social networks – especially Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and TikTok. A recent survey of users aged 16 to 64 found this to be the case Almost half of Instagram users also use TikTok.
Instagram age demographics
- 25-34 year olds represent the largest advertising audience on Instagram, closely followed by the 18 to 24 age group
- Men are slightly more numerous than women in these age groups. However, there are more women than men among users aged 35 and over
The younger the Instagram user, the more likely it is that they will use the social network several times a day. A survey by Ipsos shows the percentage of people who sign up more than once a day, by age:
- 18-24 years old: 67%
- 25-34 years old: 60%
- 35-44 years old: 49%
- 45-54 years old: 43%
- 55+ years old: 31%
11% of US parents According to a survey by the Pew Research Center, their 9-11 year olds use Instagram. Instagram account holders must be at least 13 years old. However, younger users can have accounts that are managed by their parents or guardians.
Source: Pew Research Center
Instagram location demographics
In terms of advertising reach, the US, India, Brazil, Indonesia and Russia are the top countries and areas with the largest audience on Instagram. Between October 2019 and 2020, India saw ad audience size growth of 20% – a pace at which the nation could soon overtake the US for the top spot.
Spotlights on the United States
Statistics are based on the latest findings from the Pew Research Center
- 37% of adults in the US use Instagram
- Only 8% of US adults over 65 use Instagram, compared with 46% on Facebook and 11% on LinkedIn
- 43% of women in the US use Instagram compared to 31% of men
- Instagram is most popular with Hispanic adults (51%), followed by black (40%) and white (33%) adults
- The majority of Instagram users in the US live in urban areas (46%), followed by suburbs (35%) and rural areas (21%).
- 43% of adults in the US are college graduates, while 37% have college and 33% may or may not have graduated from high school
- 6 out of 10 Instagram users use the social network every day
India in the spotlight
- India was one of the first markets to test Instagram Reels and Tab Reels
- India was also one of the first countries to launch Instagram Live Rooms, where up to four people can live together
- India is the largest market for Facebook and WhatsApp users
- TikTok has been banned in India since June 2020
- Instagram Lite, a small and fast Android version of the app, was released in India in December 2020 for people in the region with limited access to data. The app does not support roles, IGTV or Instagram shopping
- Languages offered on Instagram Lite include Bangla, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, and Telugu
- According to a report by ClanConnect, 63% of the most popular influencers in India work in the entertainment industry
- ClanConnect finds that food, education, finance, and career-focused influencers get the most engagement
- 2 out of 5 songs that are most shared on Reels worldwide are by Indian artists
Facebook’s average revenue per user is 11 times higher in the US and Canada than in the Asia-Pacific region. According to Facebook, the difference is “largely due to the size and maturity” of the online and mobile ad markets in each region. Statistics for Instagram have not yet been released but are likely to be similar.
Facebook’s 2020 annual report finds that the percentage of duplicate accounts “is significantly higher in developing markets like the Philippines and Vietnam compared to more developed markets”. By and large, the largest relative growth in Instagram ad audience size has occurred in East Asian countries.
Do you notice something is missing? Yes, Instagram has been blocked in China since 2014.
Instagram gender demographics
When looking at the gender demographics on Instagram, it should be noted that the website offers three options: male, female, and unspecified. While “unspecified” is available, much of the research and reporting has been limited to binary classifications.
- 51% of Instagram ad audience identify as female and 49% as male. (Facebook’s advertising tools do not report data for non-binary genders.)
Spotlights on the United States
- Among adults in the United States, 43% of women are on Instagram versus 31% of men finds Pew Research Center
- 62% of new US users You identify as female on Instagram, according to a 2019 study by the Pew Research Center that was restricted to binary genders. 38% identity as male
India in the spotlight
- According to Statista, 72.5% of Instagram users in India identify as male compared to 27.5% as female
- More than half of the women living in India are not aware of the existence of the mobile internet
Instagram is interested in demographics
Regardless of Instagram demographics, people use the social network to deal with their interests. Recent research commissioned by Facebook has established this 91% of people Respondents say they use Instagram to follow an interest. In India it is 98%.
Research finds that the main interests are on Instagram Travel (45%), Music (44%), and Food and drink (43%). Go against the trend, prefer the people of India technology as her main interest. In Argentina, Brazil, Korea and Turkey Movie ranked in the top three. Among parents in the UK the five main interests are food, travel, fashion, beauty and, unsurprisingly, parenting.
We split Instagram’s top demographic data based on interest.
- The Facebook family of apps is the best online destination discovery channel among US vacationers aged 18 to 34.
- Hootsuite Research finds that Fridays between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. is when the Instagram demographics are most active with travel interests.
- 1.3K: Number of athletes from international sporting events who are active on Instagram. Each athlete has an average of 198,000 followers.
- 1 out of 3 people People surveyed by Facebook have used Facebook and Instagram to follow global sporting events. 25% of whom are women.
- 60% Instagram held conversations about the women’s national soccer team in the US by women. In the UK, the gender dynamics of football convos fluctuated overall 40% Women.
- Cristiano Ronaldo is the most visited athlete on Instagram and the second most visited account with 252 million followers. Dwayne Johnson and Lionel Messi are among the top ten most popular accounts.
- 4 of the top ten Most of the Instagram accounts are musicians: Ariana Grande, Selena Gomez, Beyonce and Justin Bieber.
- Almost half Of the 50 most visited people on Instagram, musicians are.
- 70% of music listeners in Canada and 67% of music listeners in the US follow artists on Facebook and Instagram to stay up to date on artist news.
- 1 in 4 Weekly Instagram users in the US watch Instagram stories about live music. In Canada the ratio rises to 1 to 3.
- 76% of respondents follow events (sports, conferences, etc.) on Instagram.
An overwhelming 90% of people on Instagram follow brands. But they don’t just follow your business for pretty pictures. In 13 markets Ipsos surveyed, the majority of people want brands to post fun (55%) real (53%) and creative (53%) content.
Use Instagram’s demographic data in your social marketing strategy. As you get to know the people behind the numbers, the engagement and follower numbers tend to go up.
Are you ready to take advantage of your Instagram users’ demographic insights? Schedule and publish posts along with all of your other social media channels right from the Hootsuite dashboard. Try it for free today.
Just create, analyze and Schedule Instagram posts with Hootsuite. Save time and get results.